Justice Deepa Sharma
Justice Deepa SharmaBorn on May 28th 1956, Ms. Deepa Sharma graduated from the Faculty of Law, Delhi University in 1978. She pursued law after completing her degree in Bachelor of Science. After having practiced law for nearly two years she qualified the DJS examination and joined the Delhi Judiciary as Civil Judge in September, 1980.
In her long and successful tenure at the Delhi Judicial and Higher Judicial Service, she has earned many laurels. Her most recent accomplishment is the setting up of Family Courts across different districts in Delhi. She was the First Principal Judge of the Family Courts and is responsible for creating the empathic culture and the streamlined processes, which is the pride of these Courts.
She has embraced new and alternate practices in law like mediation and is a certified practitioner and trainer of the same. She established the Mediation Centre at District Courts, Dwarka. She has also travelled extensively to impart training in mediation as an alternate method to dispute resolution to various groups of lawyers and judges across the country.
Before being elevated to the Delhi High Court, she headed the Dwarka Courts as the District & Sessions Judge. She has gained a wide experience due to the various positions she held during her tenure as a District Court Judge. Some of these positions are – Judge MACT, NDPS, Judge CBI, Sessions Judge for cases under ITP Act and others, Judge Labor Court, ACMM, Senior Civil Judge, RCT etc.
She has pursued academic interests and taken lectures on various aspects of Law at Delhi Judicial Academy and National Law University. Her other interests include poetry, music and gardening. She was elevated to the bench of High Court of Delhi as Additional Judge on 17th April, 2013.
Justice Ashutosh Kumar
Justice Ashutosh KumarHon'ble Mr. Justice Ashutosh Kumar was born on 1st October, 1966. After his schooling from St. Michaels’ High School, Patna, he graduated from St. Stephens’ College, Delhi University. Justice Kumar did his LL.B. from Campus Law Centre, Delhi University. Enrolled as an advocate on 9th July, 1991, at Patna High Court. As an advocate Justice Kumar has appeared in important criminal matters including matters related to convicts on Death Row and in service matters as well. He was appointed an Additional Standing Counsel for the Central Government, on which post he remained for three years. Justice Kumar was also made Government Pleader for the State of Bihar. However, he continued on that post for a short period. He was elevated as an Additional Judge of Patna High Court on 15th May, 2014. He was transferred to Delhi High Court where he took oath of office on 7th of January, 2015. He was administered oath of the office as a confirmed Judge of the Patna High Court on 21.04.2016.
Justice P.S. Teji
Justice P.S. TejiJustice P.S. Teji born on 14th August 1956 in Punjab State, did graduation from Faridkot, Post Graduation from Punjab University, Chandigarh and LLB (First Division) from Punjab University, Chandigarh. In the year 1983, started career as Advocate in Punjab & Haryana High Court, Chandigarh, represented Union of India in Civil, Criminal, Land Acquisition and Service Matter, represented Chandigarh Administration to conduct criminal cases, appointed as Assistant Advocate General, Punjab from February, 1991 to July, 1993 and conducted Constitutional Law, Civil, Criminal and Service Law matters.
In 1995, joined Delhi Higher Judicial Service. He presided over as Additional District Judge, Additional Sessions Judge, Special Judge (NDPS), Essential Commodity Act, CBI Trial, Presiding Officer Industrial Tribunal, cases investigated by DRI and Customs.
In May 2009, was appointed as District Judge-cum-Special Judge, PC Act (CBI), became District & Sessions Judge (East) and contributed substantially in various projects at Karkardooma Courts Complex including Construction and Distribution of 480 Lawyers Chambers, Construction and Function of 1st Paperless E-Court of India, Model Lock-up, First Child Witness Court of India and First Vulnerable Witness Examination Court till elevation to High Court as an Additional Judge with effect from 15th December, 2014.
Justice I.S. Mehta
Justice I.S. MehtaJustice Inder Singh Mehta was born on 6th April, 1958 in Village Lippa, Tehsil Moorang, District Kinnaur, Himachal Pradesh in a Himalayan Buddhist family. He passed All India Higher Secondary Examination (CBSE) from Vishesh Kendriya Vidalaya, Janakpuri, Delhi in the year 1976. He believes in a disciplined life and had joined NCC and was awarded Certificate ‘C’ on 5th July, 1979 by the Director General, National Cadet Corps, Delhi. He graduated from Hans Raj College in the year 1978-79 and was awarded the Hans Raj College Colour in the year 1978-79. He pursued LL.B. at Campus Law Centre, Delhi University and graduated in the year 1982. Thereafter, he enrolled himself as an advocate in 1982 with the Bar Council of Delhi and started practicing in Himachal Pradesh. He was selected in Delhi Higher Judicial Services in 1995. He was posted in several District Courts of Delhi and later on he was posted as the first District Judge of South-West District Court, Dwarka, Delhi in 2008. Thereafter, he was posted as first District & Sessions Judge, of New Delhi District at Patiala House Courts, New Delhi till 14.12.2014 where he was handling various NIA cases and was nominated to participate in a seminar organized by Global Counter Terrorism Forum in 2014 at Hague, Netherlands on the Role of Judiciary in Handling Counter Terrorism and Other National Security Cases. Thereafter, he was appointed as an Additional Judge of Delhi High Court on 15th December, 2014.
Justice R.K. Gauba
Justice R.K. GaubaJustice R.K. Gauba was born on 4th December 1957, in an Army family, and did his schooling at various stations, mainly from Kendriya Vidyalaya. Post his graduation from Osmania University, Hyderabad, he did his LL.B from Jabalpur University. He entered Madhya Pradesh Judicial Service on 24th November 1981. He was selected to and joined Delhi Judicial Service on 19th August 1983 and presided over the courts of Civil Judge, Metropolitan Magistrate and Rent Controller. He was promoted to the Delhi Higher Judicial Service on 20th November 1997 and served in many a jurisdiction, including as Special Judge for NDPS and anti-corruption cases as also municipal election disputes. He also exercised appellate jurisdiction under rent control law, Public Premises Act and against orders of MCD/DDA appellate tribunal. He was Chief Metropolitan Magistrate for Delhi during 1998-2000. He also presided over the MACT, Sessions Court, matrimonial cases. He was the Registrar Vigilance at Delhi High Court and Supreme Court during 2005-2010. He also served on deputation as Officer on Special Duty (Judicial) with the 1st Central Review Committee under POTA. He was elevated to High Court as an Additional Judge with effect from 15th December, 2014.
Justice Sangita Dhingra Sehgal
Justice Sangita Dhingra SehgalJUSTICE SANGITA DHINGRA SEHGAL
• Born on 20th June, 1958 in Chandigarh, India.
• Matriculation (X) from Carmel Convent School, Chandigarh in the year 1974.
• Graduation from Government College for Women, Chandigarh in the year 1978
• LL.B. from Delhi University in the year 1981
• Master of Arts in Public Administration from Panjab University in 1983.
• LL.M from Kurukshetra University in the year 2004.
• Ph.D. from Amity University, Noida in the year 2012.
• Competed and topped in the Delhi Judicial Service Examination in the year 1984 and joined the Delhi Judiciary.
• Posted as Sub-Judge from 1985 to 1987.
• Posted as Metropolitan Magistrate and Secretary, Legal Aid and Advise Committee from 1987 to 1994.
• Worked as Competent Authority/Slums, Municipal Corporation of Delhi from 1994 to 1997 and was given additional charge of Joint Director/Mobilisation Community Development.
• Promoted to Delhi Higher Judicial Service in November, 1997 and posted as ACMM, Patiala House Courts having exclusive jurisdiction to deal with Customs and FERA Act.
• Posted as ASJ-cum-CMM at Tis Hazari Courts.
• Posted as Secretary, Press Council of India, ASJ, Member Secretary, Delhi Legal Services Authority.
• Posted as Additional District Judge, Special Judge (Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988).
• Posted as District & Sessions Judge, South-East District, New Delhi from 1st March 2013 to 16th April 2013. During the tenure, she dealt with cases of Public Premises Act, Essential Services Maintenance Act, Essential Commodities Act and ARCT. She was Administrative Head of the South-East District, Saket Courts Complex, New Delhi.
• Posted as Registrar General, High Court of Delhi from 16th April, 2013 to 14th December, 2014. During the said period, she was given the additional charge of Registrar (Vigilance).
• Member of the Project Steering Committee (PSC) which was implemented by the Department of Justice, Ministry of Law & Justice, Government of India with support from United Nationals Development Programme(UNDP) and the programme was aimed to strengthen access to justice particularly women, scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, minorities and focuses on improving institutional capacities of key justice service providers to enable them to effectively serve the poor.
• Worked as a Trained Mediator and trained the lawyers at Raipur, Chandigarh, Udhampur, Ranchi, Bhubaneshwar and Aurangabad.
• Worked as a Mediator and settled number of disputes pertaining to matrimonial, recovery and property related matters.
• Authored Än Exhaustive Guide to the Slum Area (Improvement & Clearance) Act, 1956 and an exhaustive Guide to the Slum Area (Improvement & Clearance) Rule, 1957” published in the year 1998 and also the Second Edition published in the year 2009. She also authored “Commentary on – The Legal Services Authorities Act” published in the year 2012.
• Elevated to the Bench of High Court of Delhi as Additional Judge on 15th December, 2014.
Justice A.K. Chawla
Justice A.K. ChawlaJustice A.K. Chawla was born on 20th October, 1958 at Ambala, Haryana. Did schooling from Kendriya Vidyalaya in 1975 and graduation in Science in the year 1978. Completed LL.B. in the year 1982 from Kurukshetra University. Was enrolled as an Advocate on 15th July, 1982 and practised in Delhi High Court and Delhi District Courts in Civil, Company and Labour cases. Since his appointment as Addl. District & Sessions Judge on 21st April, 1997, he has presided over various Civil and Criminal Courts. In June, 2003, he joined New Delhi Municipal Council as its Legal Advisor and on return in January, 2005, presided over Motor Accident Claim Tribunal. He is a trained Mediator under the aegis of Hon’ble MCPC of the Supreme Court of India and has been the Judge In-charge of Delhi Mediation Centre, Karkardooma Courts, Delhi, before being appointed Secretary General, Delhi High Court Arbitration Centre. He was appointed District Judge-II-cum-ASJ I/c (North), Tis Hazari Courts on 6th February, 2010 and then, from 11th March, 2011, was District Judge-III-cum-ASJ I/c (West), Tis Hazari Courts. Was appointed District & Sessions Judge (Hqs.), Delhi w.e.f. 17th April, 2013 before being elevated as Permanent Judge of Delhi High Court on 8th November, 2016.
Justice Vinod Goel
Justice Vinod Goel• Justice Vinod Goel was born on 7th August, 1957 in village Hassanpur, (now in District Palwal), Haryana, and did his schooling from Government High School, Hassanpur.
• Passed B.Com. from Vaish College, Rohtak affiliated to Maharishi Dayanand University, Rohtak.
• Did LL.B. from Panjab University, Chandigarh in April 1980.
• Awarded Certificate of Honour by Department of Laws, Panjab University, Chandigarh for securing highest marks in Criminology 4th Semester Examination in April, 1979.
• Did Diploma in Labour Laws in May, 1981 from The Indian Law Institute, New Delhi.
• Enrolled on the Roll of Advocates with the Bar Council of Punjab & Haryana on 30.7.1982.
• Did practice in District Courts at Faridabad and Sub-Divisional Courts at Palwal on Civil and Criminal side. Also conducted Labour, Service, Election Petitions, Claim Petitions & Revenue and Consolidation Matters.
• Joined Delhi Higher Judicial Service on 31.12.1997 (AN). Presided over Civil Courts, Motor Accident Claims Tribunal, CBI Courts.
• Is a Trained Mediator under the aegis of MCPC of Hon’ble Supreme Court and trained in Mediation by ISDLS. Presided over as Judge In-Charge, Mediation Cell, East District, Karkardooma Courts from 15.12.2009 – 31.07.2012.
• Posted as District & Sessions Judge, Shahdara on 01.03.2013. Oldest Sessions Case No.1/2006 CBI Vs. Santoshanand etc. (commonly known as L.N.Mishra Murder case) was disposed off on 08.12.2014 and order on sentence was passed on 18.12.2014.
• Appointed as Registrar General, High Court of Delhi on deputation with effect from 10.01.2015.
• Was administered oath as a permanent Judge of the High Court of Delhi on 08.11.2016.
Justice Chander Shekhar
Justice Chander Shekhar• Born on 26th January, 1958 in a small Village Hasole (Chokath), Tehsil Dehra, District Kangra, Himachal Pradesh in an Agricultural family.
• Did his Schooling from Harcourt Butler Sr. Secondary School, New Delhi, B.Com(P) from University of Delhi and then LL.B. Enrolled as an Advocate with the Bar Council of Delhi in the year 1982 and started practice on the Civil, Criminal and Industrial side in the Supreme Court of India, High Court of Delhi and Delhi District Courts.
• Joined Delhi Higher Judicial Service in the year 2000. Presided over Sessions Court, Civil Court, Judge NDPS, PO MACT, Rent Control Tribunal, Spl.Judge PC Act CBI. Expeditiously disposed of many cases including the most sensitive matter of Maulana Azad Medical College also known as “Khooni Darwaja Case”.
• Justice Chander Shekhar has written and compiled a book titled as ICT in Delhi Courts, which is a guide to the complete process of Computerization of Delhi District Courts and also formatted and designed District Courts User Manual in Hindi to make justice accessible to all. His keen interest and untiring efforts as Chairman, Computer Committee, Delhi District Courts continuously for six years resulted into Computerization of District Courts. Was also Chairman of various administrative Committees of the Delhi District Courts.
• Justice Chander Shekhar is a trained Mediator. Posted as Full time Coordinator, Mediation Centre, Rohini Courts, where he was instrumental in planning and making the Mediation Centre, Rohini Courts fully functional in the year 2009. Imparted training to the Advocates & Judge Mediators.
• Worked as a Reporter (Part-time), Indian Law Reports, Delhi.
• In 2010, was posted as Registrar (Case Flow Management), High Court of Delhi and more than three thousand matters after physical scrutiny were placed before various Courts and disposed off.
• In 2011, was appointed as Spl. Secretary (Law), Department of Law, Justice and Legislative Affairs, GNCT of Delhi having the additional charge of Secretary, Alternative Dispute Resolution/Director, Delhi Dispute Resolution Society.
• Became District & Sessions Judge (North), in March, 2013 and in December, 2013 as District & Sessions Judge (North-West), Delhi.
• In July, 2014 was posted as Registrar (Vigilance) High Court of Delhi, New Delhi.
• Attended many Seminars including ‘End to End-Court Technology’ held at Singapore as nominated by Hon’ble Supreme Court of India and Regional Workshop on Counter Terrorism held in Kathmandu, Nepal.
• Invited as resource person by Delhi Judicial Academy and various other Departments/Institutes.
• Elevated as Permanent Judge of High Court of Delhi on 8th November, 2016.